We are the SeniorNet group that operate in the Porirua area covering residents from Pukerua Bay to the northern suburbs of Wellington. People residing outside of this area may still be members but would probably find it more convenient to join a group nearer to their place of residence.
Each Learning Centre is established and run by an independent committee, who organise their own premises, classes and funding.
Our classes are run at Porirua East School, Martin Street, Porirua 5024
- To teach computer skills to older adults (aged 50+) in an enjoyable and friendly way;
- To give older adults the opportunity to learn skills that will enable them to contribute their knowledge and wisdom to the society;
- To offer a means for older adults to communicate and make new friends through on-line communication;
- To conduct research on the use of technology by older adults;
- To do all such things as may be deemed necessary to attain and complement the above objectives.
Porirua SeniorNet Aim
Our aim is to provide a warm and friendly learning environment where older students can gain a useful, hands-on experience of computers from tutors of their own age group most of whom have graduated from the very same courses. Classes are limited to the use of six networked computers with one tutor to every three students.